In Jacqui's CD Player ...

Just started listening to ... The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
Synopsis: Melina Marchetta's brilliant, heart-wrenching new novel takes up the story of the group of friends from her best-selling, much-loved book Saving Francesca - only this time it's five years later and Thomas Mackee is the one who needs saving.

Thomas Mackee wants oblivion. Wants to forget parents who leave and friends he used to care about and a string of one-night stands, and favourite uncles being blown to smithereens on their way to work on the other side of the world.

But when his flatmates turn him out of the house, Tom moves in with his single, pregnant aunt, Georgie. And starts working at the Union pub with his former friends. And winds up living with his grieving father again. And remembers how he abandoned Tara Finke two years ago, after his uncle's death.

And in a year when everything's broken, Tom realises that his family and friends need him to help put the pieces back together as much as he needs them.

Just finished listening to ... Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Synopsis: Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

Jacqui's Review: I finally gave in to the temptation!!  I could no longer resist the constant stream of people saying how fantastic these books are.  So I decided to see for myself.  I must say, there is something about the quirkiness of the story and the characters that makes you want more.  I have to admit that it has sparked my interest to want to know what happens next in Sookie's crazy world but unfortunately there are too many books to read and too little time and I will not committ myself to another seven books in the series.  So I've taken the cheats way out and started watching the TV series ... True Blood ... which I must say I am now totally addicted to.  Season one of the series seems to hold fairly true to the book although they have introduced a couple of new characters into the story which I don't believe detract from the storyline. 2.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment